If you don’t own a slow cooker or crock-pot, you’re missing out on some really convenient and easy meals. Slow cooker recipes mean that you can largely prep your meal hours in advance, start it cooking, and leave to enjoy a day of recreation, only to return in time for dinner to find a complete meal waiting for you, hot and delicious. This slow cooker recipe for chicken burrito bowls is exactly that. Once it’s done, you can dress it up any number of ways with fresh toppings to suit your tastes.
SLOW COOKER CHICKEN BURRITO BOWLS
- 1 to 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, chicken thighs, or a mix
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth, divided, plus more if needed
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- Optional toppings: Shredded cheese, chopped cilantro, sour cream, diced avocado, salsa, hot sauce, diced green onions, shredded lettuce
- Combine the chicken breasts, diced tomatoes and their juices, 1/2 cup of chicken broth, chili powder, salt, and cumin in the bowl of a 2 1/2- to 3 1/2-quart slow cooker. Make sure the chicken is covered, and add additional broth if needed. Cover with the lid and cook on low for 3 to 4 hours.
- Uncover and add the rice, beans, corn, and remaining 1/2 cup chicken broth. Cover and continue cooking on low for another 3 to 4 hours. Check the rice periodically in the last hour of cooking, stirring once or twice to make sure the rice cooks evenly and adding more chicken broth if the mixture seems dry. Cooking is done when the rice is tender — if the rice is done while there is still liquid left in the slow cooker, remove the lid and cook on high to let the liquid evaporate.
- Use 2 forks to shred the chicken into bite-sized pieces. You can do this either in the slow cooker itself and then mix it into the rice, or you can transfer the chicken to a cutting board if you prefer to keep it separate. Taste the burrito mix and stir in more salt or other seasonings to taste.
Visit Pan Pacific RV
Stop by Pan Pacific RV this winter to shop for a new RV. Tour any RV in the inventory and learn more about the models that interest you. If you’re not on the market for an RV, Pan Pacific RV can still help you with RV service before you hit the road.