Grilled cheese for breakfast? Breakfast flavors in a lunchtime classic? Hey, these breakfast grilled cheese sandwiches are whatever you need them to be. Whether you’re craving grilled cheese in the morning or didn’t get enough of that breakfast flavor in the morning, this recipe will serve you well in your RV travels.
Breakfast Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
- 1/2 pound breakfast sausage
- 6 eggs
- 1 1/2 tablespoons water
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt (your preference)
- 4 ounces colby cheese, shredded
- 4 ounces monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 2 ounces cotija cheese, shredded or crumbled
- 1 loaf sliced sourdough bread
- large handful arugula or baby spinach
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook and crumble the sausage over medium high heat. Transfer the cooked sausage to a paper towel lined mixing bowl.
- Break the eggs into a bowl. Add the water to the eggs and whisk to combine.
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, melt the butter and swirl to coat. Pour the egg mixture into the middle of the pan (you want the butter to move to the edges of the eggs in the pan) and cook without stirring for a minute or two. Sprinkle with seasoned salt.
- Once the eggs begin to set, gently stir or fold the eggs as needed until the liquid is almost completely gone. Remove from the heat while the eggs are still slightly wet. (They will continue to cook while in the pan.)
- Add the cooked sausage and stir gently to combine and break up the eggs. Transfer the eggs and sausage mixture to the bowl that was holding the sausage.
- Shred the cheeses and mix them together in a bowl. Wipe out the skillet with a paper towel if needed and return to the stove. Butter 1 side of each slice of bread.
- Warm the skillet over medium heat. Place the bread buttered side down in the hot skillet. Sprinkle the bread lightly with 1-2 tablespoons of the cheese mix. Scoop about 1/2 cup of the scrambled eggs and sausage onto the bread and use the spatula to break it up a bit to cover the bread. Sprinkle generously with about 1/4 cup of cheese and layer a few pieces of arugula or spinach over the top. Add 1-2 tablespoons more shredded cheese and top with the second slice of buttered bread, buttered side on top facing out.
- Cover the pan with a lid (this helps great steam to melt the cheeses) and cook for 3-4 minutes until the cheeses start to melt, if the bread is browning too quickly, reduce the heat slightly. When the cheese begins to melt, and the bread is crisp and golden brown, slide a spatula under the sandwich and flip it over gently.
- Cover with the lid again to help finish melting the cheese. When the sandwich is golden brown on both sides and melted throughout, transfer to a cutting board and slice in half. Serve immediately. Repeat for each sandwich.
Visit Pan Pacific RV
Stop by Pan Pacific RV this fall to shop for a new RV. Tour any RV in the inventory and learn more about the models that interest you. If you’re not on the market for an RV, Pan Pacific RV can still help you with RV service before you hit the road.