The spring RV season is fully underway, and that means campground get-together are in the near future. This mouthwatering recipe for strawberries and cream cake is the only dessert recipe you’ll need to wow your friends and family at the campsite this spring and summer.
What you’ll need:
For the cake:
- 1 cup unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups white sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice (freshly squeezed)
- 2 cups flour, plus an additional 3 tablespoons
- 5 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons strawberry Jell-O mix (dry)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2/3 cup chopped strawberries
For the frosting:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (softened)
- 1 package cream cheese (8 ounces)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 cups powdered sugar
For the topping:
- 1 1/2 cups sliced strawberries
- 1 1/2 tablespoons white sugar
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 9-inch by 13-inch baking pan.
- Beat the room temperature butter with a hand mixer until creamy, slowly stir in the sugar until fluffy.
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggs, then mix in the butter mixture with the freshly-squeezed lemon juice and buttermilk.
- In a separate bowl, sift the flour and cornstarch together three times. Sift in the Jell-O mix, baking soda and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and beat slowly until combined.
- Chop the strawberries finely and add them into the mixture. Pour the batter evenly into the pan and bake for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Cool the cake for 1 hour, then chill in the refrigerator for an additional hour.
To create the frosting:
- Beat the softened butter and cream cheese until creamy. Beat in the vanilla, then slowly beat in the powdered sugar until creamy. Frost the cake.
For the topping:
- Stir the sliced strawberries and sugar together in a medium bowl, then let them stand for 30 minutes. Add them to the cake when serving.